2008 International Supercomputing Conference
The 23rd annual International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) will bring together many of the world’s leading experts in high performance computing this week in Dresden, Germany. HPCwire got an opportunity to ask conference chair Prof. Hans Meuer about the upcoming conference and his thoughts on the direction of supercomputing.
Feature Articles from ISC
(06/20/2008) – This week at ISC in Dresden, Germany, storage vendor LSI is demonstrating the Engenio 7900, a storage product that they feel puts HPC centers right where they need to be: offering users a highly reliable storage solution that doesn’t sacrifice performance or configurability.
(06/19/2008) – The combined economic resources of the 27 member states of the European Union make it the largest economy in the world. No stranger to the world of HPC, and convinced of the power of technology to further propel the prosperity and well-being of its citizens, the EU is investing heavily in pan-European resources that it hopes will propel its members to the forefront of the computational stage.
(06/18/2008) – On Wednesday Microsoft announced something big in a little number. NCSA put one of its systems, the 9000+ core Abe system, on the latest Top500 list at number 23. This is the highest ranking Windows HPC system to date and has important implications for Microsoft and the community.
(06/18/2008) – There is no other way to characterize this year: 2008 will be remembered as “the year” — the year that one petaflops was achieved in Linpack performance. It is a milestone that has been anticipated for almost a decade and a half, and one that was accomplished through the synthesis of two big trends that have emerged as the driving forces for HPC in the last few years — multicore and heterogeneous computing.
(06/17/2008) – As AMD was unpacking its bags in Dresden yesterday, the company announced the next step in the evolution of its GPU-based application accelerator, the FireStream 9250.
(06/17/2008) – UK-based ClearSpeed has launched its second-generation floating point accelerator lineup based on its new CSX700 “Callanish” ASIC. The new offerings include the e710 and e720 Advance boards and the CATS-700 1 teraflop server.
(06/16/2008) – At ISC’08, NVIDIA has announced two new Tesla-branded GPU computing products, which incorporate the company’s next generation 10-series processor that supports double precision floating point operations.
(06/09/2008) – Petaflop. Sure it’s just a number, but it’s a big number. On June 10, IBM announced that its Roadrunner supercomputer reached a record-breaking one petaflop — a quadrillion floating point operations per second — using the standard Linpack benchmark. It is the first general-purpose computer to reach this milestone.
Special Commentary from ISC
Intel CTO Pitches Manycore Vision
In Justin Rattner’s ISC keynote address on Thursday, the Intel CTO painted a picture in which future supercomputing technologies are merged into everyday computing. Read more…
The View From the Top
There wasn’t much suspense on which machine would nab the top spot on the June TOP500 list, which was released earlier today. Last week, IBM and LANL had already let everyone know that Roadrunner crossed the petaflop finish line first. Nonetheless, the new list portends some big changes ahead for supercomputing. Read more…
What Makes a Supercomputer Super?
The announcement of each new TOP500 list and especially those with systems that break the triple order of magnitude barrier in FLOPS tend to get me thinking about the meaning of the term “supercomputer.” Read more…
Supercomputing’s Spring Fling
I’ll be heading out to Dresden, Germany in a couple of days to attend the annual International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) and immerse myself in all things petascale. Read more…
Off the Wire from ISC
- Star of Arkansas Makes List of World’s Fastest Supercomputers – (06/23/2008)
- ISC’08 Sets Record Attendance, Introduces First Petascale Computer – (06/21/2008)
- Voltaire Expands InfiniBand Leadership Position on Top500 List – (06/20/2008)
- Sun Supercomputer Created for ‘Flight and Flow’ Simulation in Germany – (06/19/2008)
- Mitrionics Previews FPGA-Based Green Computing – (06/19/2008)
- World’s 10th Fastest Supercomputer Helps Find Oil and Gas – (06/19/2008)
- Fujitsu Supercomputers Make TOP500 List – (06/19/2008)
- PRACE Award Presented to Young Scientist at ISC’08 – (06/18/2008)
- IBM Roadrunner Grabs No. 1 Spot in TOP500 – (06/18/2008)
- Voltaire Powers World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer – (06/18/2008)
- Concurrent Thinking Releases First HPC Appliances – (06/18/2008)
- Sun Expands Sun Constellation System Family – (06/18/2008)
- First Petaflop Supercomputer Uses EMCORE Cables – (06/18/2008)
- European Grid Initiative at ISC’08 – (06/18/2008)
- Sun Expands Sun Blade Family – (06/18/2008)
- Sun Microsystems Breaks Into Top Five on Top 500 – (06/18/2008)
- Argonne’s Supercomputer Named World’s Fastest for Open Science – (06/18/2008)
- Mellanox InfiniBand Accelerates Top Supercomputer – (06/18/2008)
- Clemson Supercomputing Power Ranks 62nd – (06/18/2008)
- Supercomputer JUGENE Still on Top of the World – (06/18/2008)
- T2K Open Supercomputer System Ranks No. 16 – (06/18/2008)
- Petaflops System Tops 31st TOP500 List – (06/18/2008)
- Mitrionics, Nallatech Announce FPGA Accelerator Kit – (06/18/2008)
- AMD Opterons Power World’s Fastest Supercomputers – (06/18/2008)
- Windows HPC Server Debuts in Top 25 of TOP500 – (06/18/2008)
- HP BladeSystem Servers Power More Than a Third of TOP500 – (06/18/2008)
- Voltaire Switches to Support New LSI Storage System – (06/17/2008)
- Acceleware Announces GPU Based Cluster Solution – (06/17/2008)
- French Computer Center to Get 147 Teraflop SGI Altix – (06/17/2008)
- Supermicro Demos 290 GFLOPS/kW HPC Solutions – (06/17/2008)
- TotalView Adds Cell BE Support – (06/17/2008)
- QLogic Announces New InfiniBand HCA – (06/17/2008)
- ADVA, Obsidian and Voltaire Test Long-Distance InfiniBand – (06/17/2008)
- Terra Soft to Resell Allinea Tools – (06/17/2008)
- Mitrionics Previews FPGA-Based Computing Strategies for HP Platforms – (06/17/2008)
- SGI Launches Accelerator Enabling Program – (06/17/2008)
- Luxtera Demos 40 Gbps Optical Active Cable at ISC – (06/17/2008)
- LSI Announces New Storage System – (06/17/2008)
- Voltaire, DataDirect Deliver Native InfiniBand Storage – (06/17/2008)
- EMCORE Demos 40 Gbps Optical Cables for HPC – (06/16/2008)
- Voltaire Previews 40 Gbps InfiniBand Switch – (06/16/2008)
- Moab Workload Manager Claims Title as First Petaflop Scheduler – (06/16/2008)
- Supermicro Adds MetaRAM Technology – (06/16/2008)
- IBTA Unveils Link Speed Roadmap for InfiniBand – (06/16/2008)
- Va. Tech Researchers Part of Team Receiving Supercomputing Honors – (06/16/2008)
- AMD Stream Processor Breaks 1 Teraflop Barrier – (06/16/2008)
- Cluster Resources to Show How to Reduce HPC Energy Consumption – (06/16/2008)
- IBM at the International Supercomputing Conference – (06/12/2008)
- PRACE Awards Prize For Outstanding Scientific Paper at ISC’08 – (06/12/2008)
- PRACE Hosts a BoF Session at ISC’08 – (06/12/2008)
- BLADE Network Technologies to Present at ISC’08 – (06/10/2008)
- Appro to Demo 40Gb/s InfiniBand Supercomputing Clusters – (06/09/2008)
- SiCortex Operates Thousand-Processor Datacenter at ISC’08 – (06/09/2008)
- Mellanox Announces 40Gb/s InfiniBand Switch Silicon Device – (06/09/2008)