2012 Supercomputing Conference
In the world of high performance computing, a lot of the important news this year revolved around heterogeneous computing, big data, and HPC interconnects. Two vendors that perhaps embodied those technologies more so than others were Cray and Intel, both of which figured prominently in some of the biggest HPC stories in 2012. Here are HPCwire’s highlights and lowlights for the year.
Feature Articles from SC12
(11/16/2012) – NCSA’s Blue Waters system is one of the fastest supercomputers in the world, but it won’t be appearing on the TOP500 list, nor will it be taking part in the HPC Challenge awards. HPCwire spoke with Project Director Bill Kramer to get the full story on this important decision.
(11/16/2012) – Imagine a world where a computer chip costs just a penny. They could be embedded anywhere and everywhere. Celebrity physicist Michio Kaku talked about the implications of this and much more in his much-anticipated keynote address at Supercomputing 2012 (SC12) this week in Salt Lake City, where he discussed the huge role that high performance computing will play in the year 2100.
(11/16/2012) – In a part serious, part provocative style, here is a light-hearted look at the different personality stereotypes involved in high performance computing. This is by no means an exclusive list, but it does illustrate the range of people who contribute to the flavor of the world of supercomputing.
(11/14/2012) – PLX Technology, a maker of PCIe switches and bridges, has been spreading the word about using PCIe as a general-purpose HPC interconnect. At SC12 this week, the company went a little further down that path, unveiling their upcoming Express Fabric technology. We asked Vijay Meduri, executive vice president of engineering at PLX to talk about the rationale of using PCIe as an interconnect fabric.
(11/13/2012) – This week at SC12, Italian cluster maker E4 Computer Engineering, launched a new series heterogeneous clusters, which pair an NVIDIA’s ARM+GPU Tegra3 with a discrete Quadro GPU. We asked E4′s Simone Tinti, who leads the HPC team at E4, to describe the new systems and talk about the advantage they offer to high performance computing users.
(11/13/2012) – Microsoft has unveiled a set of “big compute” capabilities for its Windows Azure offering. The company is courting the HPC space with more powerful hardware, new instance configurations, and the updated Microsoft HPC Pack 2012.
(11/12/2012) – Intel Corp. officially made its entry into the manycore realm today as it debuted “Knights Corner,” the company’s first Xeon Phi coprocessor. The new products clock in at just over a teraflop, double precision, setting the stage for an HPC accelerator battle that will pit Intel against GPU makers NVIDIA and AMD. Both of those companies also released their latest HPC accelerators into the wild earlier today at the annual Supercomputing Conference in Salt Lake City.
(11/12/2012) – In the battle of the DOE labs, Oak Ridge Lab’s Titan supercomputer has taken the title from the former TOP500 champ, Lawrence Livermore’s Sequoia. The GPU-charged Titan, using the new NVIDIA K20X-equipped XK7 blades from Cray, delivered 17.6 petaflops to Sequoia’s 16.3 petaflops on Linpack, the sole metric for TOP500 rankings.
(11/12/2012) – The battle of teraflop accelerators began today as NVIDIA launched a new family of supercomputing GPUs based on the Kepler architecture. The Tesla K20 and the K20X represent the company’s latest and greatest and are intended to keep NVIDIA’s successful HPC accelerator franchise out in front of the competition. The chipmaker announced the new hardware as the 2012 Supercomputing Conference, in Salt Lake City, got underway.
(11/12/2012) – AMD is launching its most powerful graphics card yet: the dual-GPU FirePro S10000 promises 5.91 teraflops of peak single precision and 1.48 teraflops of peak double precision floating point performance. And with AMD’s “Graphics Core Next” (GCN) architecture under the hood, the S10000 can deliver compute and graphics processing simultaneously.
(11/09/2012) – Supercomputer-maker Cray has announced it intends to buy Appro International, a privately held HPC cluster vendor. Cray is paying about $25 million for Appro, and will get at least $3.5 million in working capital from the cluster-maker. News of the deal boosted Cray’s stock price, which jumped 10 percent on Friday.
(11/09/2012) – The celebration surrounding the opening of the Supercomputing Conference traditionally kicks off with Gala Opening on Monday evening. But those in the know leave the convention center and head to the biggest open HPC community party of the year: the Beowulf Bash. HPC guru and Beowulf pioneer Thomas Sterling talks about what makes this particular event so special.
(11/09/2012) – The epic supercomputing event of the year, SC12, will be booting up next week in Salt Lake City, Utah, attracting HPC digerati, vendors, press, and analysts from around the world. And even though the DOE won’t be there in full force this year, big crowds are still expected. This year’s event should deliver plenty of fodder for those looking to keep up on the latest and greatest in the field.
(10/24/2012) – The world’s fastest computer has created the fastest computer simulation of the human heart. The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s Sequoia supercomputer, a TOP500 chart topper, was built to handle top secret nuclear weapons simulations, but before it goes behind the classified curtain, it is generating sophisticated cardiac simulations.
(08/30/2012) – The upcoming Super-computing Conference (SC12) may not turn out to be the blow-out high performance computing hullabaloo it normally is. The recent GSA scandal involving overzealous spending at one of their conferences a couple of years ago has precipitated new federal policy that is forcing government labs to abandon their exhibits and cutback attendance at the world’s largest supercomputing event.
Special Commentary from SC12
Podcast: AMD Troubles; SC12 Winners and Losers
AMD is rumored to be looking for a buyer. And, as SC12 wraps up, Addison and Michael suggest some of the big winners and losers from the conference.Read more…
Podcast: Cray Shakes Up Supercomputing Biz; A Look Ahead to SC12
Cray launches Cascade line of supercomputers, then buys Appro for good measure. Also, an SC12 gets ready to roll.Read more…
Podcast: Feds Suck the Energy Out of SC12; Intel Has Open MIC Day at Hot Chips
The DOE and some other US federal agencies are looking to shrink their presence at SC12. And Intel reveals more details about its upcoming Knights Corner processor.Read more…
Off the Wire from SC12
- Silicon Mechanics Awarded Intel Cluster Ready Explorer Award – (01/14/2013)
- Bright Computing Wins Intel Cluster Ready “Pathfinder” Award – (11/30/2012)
- Spirent Puts SCinet Multi-100G Network to the Test – (11/27/2012)
- Intelligent Light Receives IDC’s Innovation Excellence Award – (11/20/2012)
- U Texas Team Conquers SC12′s “Student Cluster Challenge” – (11/20/2012)
- Obsidian Welcomes Mellanox into the Long Haul InfiniBand Market – (11/15/2012)
- PGI Accelerator Compilers Support Tesla K20 Family – (11/15/2012)
- ADVA Optical Networking, U Michigan Demo 100G at SC12 – (11/15/2012)
- PGI to Deliver OpenACC for Xeon Phi – (11/15/2012)
- ETI Announces Xeon Phi Support with SWARM – (11/15/2012)
- Gnodal Frees Network for 10GbE iWARP Test – (11/15/2012)
- Five Continents Now Benefit from NAG HPC Services – (11/14/2012)
- Allinea MAPs Out New Performance Tool – (11/14/2012)
- Heterogeneous HPC Systems Top Green500 List – (11/14/2012)
- Altair Unveils PBS Analytics at SC12 – (11/14/2012)
- Molex Showcases Interconnects at SC12 – (11/14/2012)
- Eurotech Launches Hybrid Super, ‘Aurora Tigon’ – (11/14/2012)
- Global Geophysical Implements Gnodal Fabric – (11/14/2012)
- Emulex, uCIRRUS Offer Live Big Data Management – (11/14/2012)
- OpenFabrics Software Powers 224 Supercomputers in the TOP500 – (11/13/2012)
- Mont-Blanc Project Selects Samsung Exynos 5 Processor – (11/13/2012)
- Flow Science Recipient of Intel’s Voyager Award at SC 12 – (11/13/2012)
- Emulex, Gnodal Deliver High Frequency Trading Solution – (11/13/2012)
- NAG Announces Support for IBM BlueGene/Q Supercomputers – (11/13/2012)
- Colfax, Mellanox Introduce Hadoop Appliance – (11/13/2012)
- Dr. Michio Kaku Presents Keynote at SC12 – (11/13/2012)
- Scalable’s JackRabbit Features Calxeda EnergyCore – (11/13/2012)
- Gnodal and Chelsio Announce Leading MPI Benchmarks – (11/13/2012)
- Allinea Releases Tools for Xeon Phi Developers – (11/13/2012)
- CENIC, PNWGP Upgrade Pacific Wave Network to 100G – (11/13/2012)
- Penguin Offers Access to Public Cloud POD – (11/13/2012)
- CogniMem Unveils 40k-Neuron Cognitive Memory System – (11/13/2012)
- IDC Announces Innovation Excellence Winners – (11/13/2012)
- Top500: InfiniBand Dominance Grows – (11/13/2012)
- SUPERMICRO FatTwin Delivers 16% Net Power Savings – (11/13/2012)
- RSC Supercomputer is Europe’s Largest Xeon Phi System – (11/12/2012)
- Brocade Demos Big Data and SDN Solutions at SC12 – (11/12/2012)
- Asetek Demos RackCDU Liquid Cooled 48U HPC Cluster – (11/12/2012)
- Convey Unveils HPA Architecture – (11/12/2012)
- Vitesse, Avago Simplify Path to 100G/120G Connectivity – (11/12/2012)
- OpenACC 2.0 Posted for Comment at SC12 – (11/12/2012)
- NASA, cPacket Demo 100-Gigabit Networking – (11/12/2012)
- DataCore Software Featured in Fusion-io SC12 Booth – (11/12/2012)
- Mellanox Adds 12-port Switch System to 56Gb/s InfiniBand – (11/12/2012)
- NVIDIA: 70 Leading Apps Add Support for GPU Accelerators – (11/12/2012)
- Acceleware Training, Consulting Support Xeon Phi – (11/12/2012)
- Penguin Grabs Tesla K20 for Altus, Relion GPU Servers – (11/12/2012)
- System Fabric Works, Calxeda Demo SFC Models – (11/12/2012)
- Altair Introduces Display Manager for Remote Visualization – (11/12/2012)
- Pica8 Powers SDN Projects at SC12 – (11/12/2012)
- AMD Adds Massive Compute Power to Top Supercomputer – (11/12/2012)
- SC12 Features Big Data Science Powered by Internet2 – (11/12/2012)
- Bright Demos Support for Xeon Phi at SC12 – (11/12/2012)
- Mellanox Introduces MetroX – Long Haul InfiniBand – (11/12/2012)
- Xyratex Discusses HPC Data Storage at SC12 – (11/12/2012)
- Brookhaven Research Chooses Mellanox InfiniBand – (11/12/2012)
- Penguin Computing Releases New Power Monitoring Device – (11/12/2012)
- PLX Unveils ExpressFabric at SC12 – (11/12/2012)
- TotalView Achieves Milestone Towards Exascale Debugging – (11/12/2012)
- NVIDIA Unveils World’s Fastest Accelerators – (11/12/2012)
- AOL’s Penguin-Powered MDCs Move into Production – (11/12/2012)
- Mellanox Connect-IB InfiniBand Adapter Tops Performance Charts – (11/12/2012)
- ORNL’s Supercomputer Named World’s Most Powerful – (11/12/2012)
- L3 Routing Introduced for Mellanox 10/40GbE Switches – (11/12/2012)
- NAG Delivers Numerical Software to Xeon Phi – (11/12/2012)
- AMD Unveils Most Powerful Server Graphics Card – (11/12/2012)
- HPCwire Announces 2012 Readers’ Choice Awards Winners – (11/12/2012)
- Salt Lake City Lights Up With Fastest Network in The World – (11/09/2012)
- TACC Presents Petascale Systems and More at SC12 – (11/09/2012)
- Virident Systems Demos FlashMAX II Storage at SC12 – (11/09/2012)
- Molex QSFP+ AOC Achieves Up To 56 Gbps Over 4KM – (11/09/2012)
- Intilop, Altera Demo 10G Low latency UDP Offload Core at SC12 – (11/09/2012)
- HPC Users Promote Slurm Workload Manager at SC12 – (11/09/2012)
- CoolIT Systems Combines with Ciara to Deliver HPC Rack – (11/08/2012)
- Pico Computing Sponsors SC12 – (11/08/2012)
- Inphi Showcases Latest iMB-Enabled LRDIMM at SC12 – (11/08/2012)
- Students Build Supercomputer in SC12′s Cluster Challenge -(11/07/2012)
- Vicor Demos Power Management Solutions at SC12 – (11/07/2012)
- IU Showcases PetaFLOPS System at SC12 – (11/07/2012)
- Panasas Showcases Activestor 14 With Hadoop at SC12 – (11/07/2012)
- Pico Announces FPGA Bioinformatics Solution – (11/07/2012)
- OpenACC Parallel Programming Standard Gains Momentum – (11/07/2012)
- Echostreams Announces FlacheSAN2 at SC12 – (11/06/2012)
- HPC Lands in Salt Lake City for SC12 – (11/06/2012)
- Ethernet Alliance Paves Way to High-Speed Success at SC12 – (11/06/2012)
- Obsidian Demos Longbow C400 Range Extenders at SC12 – (11/06/2012)
- RAID Unveils Scalable Unified Storage at SC12 – (11/06/2012)
- BSC Installs New ARM-Based Prototype – (11/06/2012)
- Pico’s FPGA Modules Accelerate Infernal 90X – (11/06/2012)
- RENCI Announces E-iRODS Consortium at SC12 – (11/05/2012)
- SCinet Research Sandbox Shows Off Network Research at SC12 – (11/05/2012)
- Appro Adds Latest Opterons to Xtreme-X Supercomputer – (11/05/2012)
- Gigamon Showcases 100GbE at SC12 – (11/01/2012)
- Appro Demos Liquid-Cooled Supercomputer at SC12 – (10/31/2012)
- AccelerEyes Adds Support for Xeon Phi – (10/31/2012)
- Pico Computing Accelerates BWA 48X – (10/29/2012)
- Silicon Mechanics Demos zStax Storage at SC12 – (10/26/2012)
- IEEE, ACM to Pass Out HPC Awards at SC12 – (10/24/2012)
- Michio Kaku to Keynote SC12 – (07/27/2012)
- Submissions Now Being Accepted for the SC12 Technical Program – (03/01/2012)