HPC Cloud Computing Coverage from SC10
During this year’s SC event in New Orleans, we caught up with co-founder and CEO of Platform Computing, Songnian Zhou to take a big picture look at key movements in computing–and where grid and clouds fit within the “Renaissance” Zhou feels is taking place.
Feature Articles from sc10
– This week during the kickoff for SC10 we spent an hour with Bill Hilf, General Manager of Microsoft’s Technical Computing Group–a segment of the company that is devoted to HPC as well as parallel and cloud computing. We were able to cover everything from ease of use of HPC applications, GPU accessibility issues, job schedulers and their role in cloud for high-performance computing applications–and how Microsoft might finally be finding a way to grab the HPC market once again.
– This week has brought news about GPU computing to the forefront of media attention with the announcement of the world’s most powerful supercomputer, which boasts 7,168 NVIDIA Tesla GPUs. It has also been a notable week for GPU computing in the cloud with Amazon’s unveiling of a new instance type–the Cluster GPU.
– Stormy weather projections aren’t the only reason why it’s cloudy in New Orleans this year. On the official program for SC10 there are a number of sessions, presentations, tutorials and poster receptions all geared toward exploring specific topics in the HPC cloud arena. We’ve put together a meaty list for those who wish to hear some leading luminaries in HPC and cloud debate and explain current challenges and successes–and we hope to see you for at least a few.
Special Commentary from sc10
“But There is No HPC in the Cloud”
While making the rounds during SC10 and striking up conversations with those in traditional HPC fields, it was hard to ignore statements of skepticism about the possibility for broad cloud adoption for HPC applications outside of the few apps that are well-suited already. For every cloud advocate there seemed to be a detractor…Read more…
SC10 Video Short: Kathy Yelick on Lawrence Berkeley National Labs and NERSC Projects
We often write about some of the interesting cloud computing research projects taking place via Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and NERSC, so when we had a chance to record Kathy Yelick,, NERSC Director at SC10, we took the opportunity to help put a face to the name and lend insight into what’s happening at one of the more prominent national centers in cloud and HPC research.Read more…
Fighting Words from the Interconnect World
To say the market share for HPC interconnects is imbalanced is a rather dramatic understatement since the vast majority of business is driven by Mellanox. However, there are a few emerging competitors who might be playing a more prominent role in HPC–and by proxy, cloud computing.Read more…
Sights and Sounds of SC10
Since we have plenty of time and room to grant coverage to the technical topics on the agenda at SC10, we thought we’d give those of you who couldn’t make it to New Orleans a light sampling of some of the sights and sounds from the first day of the conference. A little off topic? Yes, indeed.Read more…
This Just In from sc10
- IBM Design Wins the Storage Challenge at SC10 – (11/19/2010)
- Deployments of OpenFabrics Alliance Software Increases 20 Percent in One Year on the TOP500 – (11/18/2010)
- Mellanox Technologies Wins ‘Best HPC Interconnect Product or Technology’ Award – (11/18/2010)
- Adaptive Computing Selected to Manage Job Scheduling for Sweden’s Leading Academic HPC System – (11/18/2010)
- Voltaire 10 Gigabit Ethernet Delivers 3X Faster Job Runtime for High-Performance Applications – (11/18/2010)
- Spirent Helps Advance Ethernet Technologies in High Performance Computing Environments – (11/16/2010)
- Cycle Computing Partners with Amazon Web Services to Provide Access to New Cluster GPU Instances – (11/16/2010)
- Voltaire and Emulex Partner on Scale-out 10GbE Fabrics – (11/16/2010)
- Voltaire Announces FDR InfiniBand Switch Development Plans at SC10 – (11/15/2010)
- Mellanox Announces Next Generation InfiniBand Technology – (11/15/2010)
- SC10 – World’s Leading Supercomputing Forum Kicks Off Week of Discovery – (11/15/2010)
- SGI to Unveil Breakthrough Hybrid Computing Platform at Supercomputing 2010 – (11/15/2010)
- Adaptive Computing Announces Moab and Viewpoint Upgrades to Address the Scale and Complexity of Next-Gen HPC Systems – (11/15/2010)
- Ethernet Alliance Members Showcase the Latest in High Performance Ethernet Technologies at SC10 – (11/15/2010)
- ScaleMP to Demo Latest Release at SC10, Including Enhanced On-demand HPC Options – (11/12/2010)
- MetaFlows Showcases a Novel SaaS Approach to Network Security Monitoring at SC10′s SCinet – (11/12/2010)