Internet2 Forms Program Advisory Group for High Performance and Research Computing
DENVER, Colo., April 7 — Internet2 today announced at the 2014 Internet2 Global Summit the creation of the Internet2 Program Advisory Group for High Performance and Research Computing and the inaugural co-chairs and members.
“I’m excited to lead this important venture along with my colleague and friend Dave Lifka,” said Jim Bottum, the Group’s Co-Chair and Clemson University’s Chief Information Officer. “As high speed networking, advanced computing, and data movement become more intertwined with cloud applications and services, it becomes increasingly important for Internet2 and its membership to have a role in shaping both the ways in which the technologies are delivered and the support and social interactions on campuses.”
“Cloud computing, federated architectures and condo of condos are becoming more important each day,” said Dave Lifka, Director of Research Computing and Associate Chief Information Officer at Cornell University. “Given that situation, it’s essential that this Advisory Group work closely with the Internet2 community to ensure that advanced network services anticipate the ever growing requirements of our research communities. For example, the Advisory Group will help influence the broad issues discussed at the 2014 Technology Exchange and continue the conversations and ideas expressed.”
“This distinguished panel drawn from the HPC community will help Internet2 shape and extend its services to more effectively serve data-intensive science and the complex workflows that increasingly characterize much research involving ‘Big Data’ today and in the future,” said Steve Wolff, interim vice president and chief technology officer, Internet2.
Inaugural Members include:
- Jim Bottum, Chief Information Officer, Clemson University and Internet2 Inaugural Presidential Fellow
- David Lifka, Director, Center for Advanced Computing and Associate Chief Information Officer, Cornell University
- James Cuff, Assistant Dean for Research Computing in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
- Elias Eldayrie, Vice President and Chief Information Officer, University of Florida
- Ian Foster, Senior Fellow and Director, Computation Institute, University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory
- Curt Hillegas, Director of Research Computing, Princeton University
- Gwen Jacobs, Director of Cyberinfrastructure, University of Hawaii
- Jamie Kinney, Senior Manager, Scientific and Research Computing, Amazon Web Services
- Ruth Marinshaw, Chief Technology Officer – Research Computing, Stanford University
- Chris Myhill, Head of Research Computing & Applications, Dell Inc.
- Henry Neeman, University of Oklahoma Assistant Vice President, Information Technology – Research Strategy Advisor, and Director of the OU Supercomputing Center for Education & Research
- Mike Norman, Professor of Astronomy and Physics, University of California, San Diego & Director, San Diego Supercomputer Center
- Craig Stewart, Executive Director Pervasive Technology Institute and Adjunct Professor, Indiana University
- John Towns, Director of Collaborative eScience, National Center for Supercomputing Applications and Project Director, Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE)
- Gordon Wishon, Chief Information Officer, Arizona State University
- Steve Wolff, Interim Vice President & Chief Technology Officer, Internet2
Internet2 is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions.