2012 International Supercomputing Conference
As a result of the dissolution of DARPA’s UHPC program, the driving force behind exascale research in the US now resides with the Department of Energy, which has embarked upon a program to help develop this technology. To get a lab-centric view of the path to exascale, HPCwire asked a three of the top directors at Argonne National Laboratory — Rick Stevens, Michael Papka, and Marc Snir — to provide some context for the challenges and benefits of developing these extreme scale systems.
Feature Articles from ISC12
(06/20/2012) – Every year, as the International Supercomputing Conference in Germany approaches, our good friends here at HPCwire invite me to reflect on the trends of the past 12 months, not so much to provide a potentially tedious list of specific events, product deliveries, and TOP500 mantras but rather to convey a personal sense of what it all adds up to and possibly means for the future of HPC.
(06/19/2012) – The 39th TOP500 list was released today at the International Supercomputing Conference in Hamburg, Germany, with a new machine at the top. Sequoia, an IBM Blue Gene/Q machine, delivered a world record 16 petaflops on Linpack, knocking RIKEN’s 10-petaflop K Computer into second place. The Japanese K machine had held the TOP500 title for a year.
(06/18/2012) – On Monday at the International Supercomputing Conference in Hamburg, Intel announced that Knights Corner, the company’s first manycore product, would be in production before the end of 2012. The company also released a few more details about the upcoming product line, including the creation of a new Xeon brand for the architecture, some performance updates on pre-production silicon, and Cray’s adoption of MIC as part of its future Cascade supercomputer.
(06/18/2012) – Mellanox has developed a new architecture for high performance InfiniBand. Known as Connect-IB, this is the company’s fourth major InfiniBand adapter redesign, following in the footsteps of its InfiniHost, InfiniHost III and ConnectX lines. The new adapters double the throughput of the company’s FDR InfinBand gear, supporting speeds beyond 100 Gbps.
(06/15/2012) – Since the release of the first TOP500 list in June of 1993, the HPC community has been motivated by the competition to place high on that list. We’re now approaching the twentieth anniversary of the TOP500. In recent years, two additional lists have gained traction: the Green500 and the Graph 500. Would a few more lists be useful?
(06/13/2012) – For the first time in its history, ISC will host its first international Student Cluster Challenge (SCC), heretofore a mainstay of the US-based SC conference in November. Now the competition is moving far beyond its “fan favorite” origins to take center stage this June in an international venue.
(06/12/2012) – With the upcoming release of the TOP500 next week, the latest rankings are usually a hot topic of discussion this time of year. Over the past 20 years, the list has proven to be a useful and popular compilation of supercomputers for the HPC community. In this exclusive interview, Professor Hans Meuer, considered by many to be the driving force behind the project, offers his thoughts on the TOP500; its past, present, and future.
Special Commentary from ISC12
Podcast: InfiniBand Hits 100G; Winners and Losers at ISC’12
Addison and Michael wrap up the news from ISC’12 and pick the event’s winners and losers.Read more…
Podcast: US Recaptures TOP500 Title; Intel MIC Gets Its Own Brand
At ISC’12 in Hamburg, Addison and Michael review the new TOP500 results and discuss Intel’s latest MIC moves.Read more…
Podcast: TOP500 Brain Trust Gathers for 20th Anniversary of List
In this exclusive interview, Hans Meuer, Erich Strohmaier, Jack Dongarra, and Horst Simon discuss why performance of the world’s top 500 supercomputers has increased so rapidly and so constantly over the years, and consider whether this will continue to be the case through the current petascale era and beyond.Read more…
Podcast: SGI, Xyratex Refresh HPC Offerings; ISC’12 Preview
Addison and Michael review SGI’s new UV 2 supercomputer and Xyratex’ second-generation Lustre storage platform. They also preview next week’s happenings at ISC’12 in Hamburg.Read more…
Off the Wire from ISC12
- ASC13 Contest Enters Preliminary Round – (03/14/2013)
- PRACE Recounts ISC’12 – (06/26/2012)
- MEGWARE Lands Three Systems on TOP500 – (06/25/2012)
- ISC’12 Marks Record Attendance – (06/21/2012)
- Vendors, Research Centers Look to Improve European HPC Capabilities – (06/20/2012)
- Terascala Releases Software Suite, Framework for Lustre Appliances – (06/20/2012)
- OpenACC Group Reports Expanding Support for Accelerator Programming Standard – (06/20/2012)
- Eurotech Adds Kepler GPU Option to Supercomputer Line – (06/20/2012)
- InfiniBand Becomes Highest Adopted TOP500 Interconnect – (06/19/2012)
- SAGA Supercomputer Uses Tesla GPUs to Assist Indian Space Research – (06/19/2012)
- Convey Computer Announces Graph500 Performance – (06/19/2012)
- Upcoming ScaleMP Foundation To Support MIC Architecture – (06/19/2012)
- PGI Fortran, C Compilers Supporting OpenACC Now Available – (06/19/2012)
- RSC Group Demonstrates Liquid Cooling at ISC – (06/19/2012)
- T-Platforms, Research Facilities Partner to Develop Next-Gen Supercomputers – (06/19/2012)
- NVIDIA GPUs Assist in Prevention of Future H1N1 Outbreaks – (06/18/2012)
- Sequoia Supercomputer Wins TOP500 Crown – (06/18/2012)
- New InfiniBand Architecture to Incorporate Direct GPU Communication – (06/18/2012)
- European Systems Increase Standing in TOP500 – (06/18/2012)
- New Mellanox Interconnect to Break 100G Throughput – (06/18/2012)
- T-Platforms Introduces the T-Mini P Minicluster – (06/18/2012)
- Mellanox InfiniBand Adoption Increased Among TOP500 Systems – (06/18/2012)
- Acer Becomes Authorized Reseller of Altair Workload Software – (06/18/2012)
- Stampede Supercomputer to Run 56G IB Interconnect – (06/18/2012)
- Intel Xeon E5-2600 Chips Power 44 TOP500 Systems – (06/18/2012)
- Mellanox Announces 40GbE Aimed at Storage, Datacenter Applications – (06/18/2012)
- Allinea Announces Support for Intel MIC Architecture – (06/18/2012)
- Australian Research Organization to Deploy Mellanox InfiniBand – (06/18/2012)
- Cray to Use Intel Phi Chips in Cascade Systems – (06/18/2012)
- Acer, Taiwain HPC Center Demonstrate CFD Application on Single Node – (06/18/2012)
- 2012 PRACE Award Winners Announced – (06/18/2012)
- Fastest Supercomputer in Europe is Cooled by Hot Water – (06/18/2012)
- Supermicro Debuts New HPC Server Offering in Hamburg – (06/18/2012)
- IDC Announces HPC Innovation Excellence Awards at ISC – (06/18/2012)
- NVIDIA Tesla K10 GPUs Deliver Application Performance Breakthrough – (06/18/2012)
- AMD Claims 24 of Top 100 Supercomputers – (06/18/2012)
- CAPS Enterprise to Demonstrate OpenACC Portability at ISC’12 – (06/14/2012)
- Allinea to Demonstrate Latest Debugging Software at ISC’12 – (06/13/2012)
- ISC’12 Attendees, Exhibitors Setting Records – (06/12/2012)