ROUND ROCK, Texas, June 2, 2023 — Dell Technologies (NYSE: DELL) announced financial results for its fiscal 2024 first quarter. Revenue was $20.9 billion, down 20%. The company generated operating income of $1.1 billion and non-GAAP operating income of $1.6 billion, down 31% and 25%, respectively. Diluted earnings per share was $0.79, and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $1.31, down 42% and 29%, respectively. Cash flow from operations was $1.8 billion.
“We executed well against a challenging economic backdrop,” said Chuck Whitten, co-chief operating officer, Dell Technologies. “We maintained pricing discipline, reduced operating expenses, and our supply chain continued to perform well after normalizing ahead of competitors. We announced a record number of innovations, making good on our promise to extend Dell APEX as-a-Service capabilities across our full portfolio and simplifying multicloud and edge computing for our customers.”
Dell ended the quarter with remaining performance obligations of $39 billion, recurring revenue of $5.6 billion, up 6%, and deferred revenue of $29.7 billion, up 8%, due to increases in service and software maintenance agreements. Cash and investments were $9.2 billion, and the company returned $527 million to shareholders in the first quarter through share repurchases and dividends.
“We continue to create value for stakeholders, with strong first quarter cash flow from operations of $1.8 billion,” said Tom Sweet, chief financial officer, Dell Technologies. “We’ve returned $5 billion to shareholders over the last six quarters, well ahead of our free cash flow return target, and we continue to invest in innovation that will fuel our growth.”
First Quarter Fiscal 2024 Financial Results
Infrastructure Solutions Group delivered first quarter revenue of $7.6 billion, down 18%. Storage revenue was $3.8 billion, with demand growth in the company’s software-defined storage and leading midrange storage array. Servers and networking revenue was $3.8 billion, with demand growth in AI optimized high value workload servers. Operating income was $740 million, or approximately 10% of Infrastructure Solutions Group revenue.
Client Solutions Group delivered first quarter revenue of $12 billion, down 23%. Commercial revenue was $9.9 billion, and Consumer revenue was $2.1 billion. Operating income was $892 million, or approximately 7% of Client Solutions Group revenue.
Key areas of innovation:
- Multicloud: Introduced new cloud platforms with Microsoft, Red Hat and VMware that bring cloud operating models on premises, and announced storage for public cloud with AWS and Microsoft that brings enterprise block and file storage capabilities to public cloud.
- Artificial Intelligence: Announced Project Helix, making Dell the first to collaborate with NVIDIA on full-stack solutions that help customers quickly and securely deploy generative AI on-premises at scale using their own proprietary data.
- As a Service: Added compute and PCaaS and managed device services for client to Dell APEX, making the breadth of Dell’s portfolio available as a service or subscription.
- Edge: Introduced Dell NativeEdge, an edge software platform that helps customers manage, simplify and secure their entire edge estate with a single solution.
- Cybersecurity: Announced Project Fort Zero, which will make Dell the first company to deliver end-to-end Zero Trust with a fully integrated Advanced Zero Trust private cloud solution to be validated by the U.S. Department of Defense.
Operating Segments Results
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
Our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts focus on driving positive impact for people and our planet while delivering long-term value for our stakeholders. The FY23 ESG report will be published in June, and the company will hold its annual investor conference call to discuss its ESG strategy on July 27. ESG resources can be accessed at this website.
About Dell Technologies
Dell Technologies (NYSE:DELL) helps organizations and individuals build their digital future and transform how they work, live and play. The company provides customers with the industry’s broadest and most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era.
Source: Dell Technologies