ST. PAUL, Minn., July 13, 2020 – Hyperion Research and the HPC User Forum Steering Committee are now accepting submissions for the 16th round of the HPC Innovation Excellence Awards. The program started in 2011 and has recognized nearly 100 outstanding HPC-supported achievements in academia, government and the private sector.
Award entries are invited from throughout the world. Entries may be submitted at any time on or before September 15, 2020, by completing the form at https://www.hpcuserforum.com/innovationaward/. Submissions must include a clear description of the achievement’s positive impact on science, engineering, data science, business success. computer science, the HPC community, or society at large. Contact Steve Conway, [email protected], for advice or answers to questions.
The HPC User Forum Steering Committee, an international volunteer group of HPC experts, selects winning submissions and may call upon other experts to help with evaluations.
Winners will be announced on Tuesday, November 17, 2020, either at Hyperion Research’s annual HPC market update breakfast at the SC20 conference in Atlanta, Georgia, or separately on that date if the coronavirus prevents the conference from taking place live.
Goals of the Award Program
The program’s main goals are to:
- Recognize HPC-enabled innovations in science, engineering, business, and data analytics, including both public sector advances in science and public or private sector returns on investment (ROI).
- Showcase HPC accomplishments in various environments such as traditional HPC centers, enterprise data centers, and cloud computing platforms as well as quantum computing.
- Help convey the broad benefits of adopting HPC.
- Demonstrate the value of HPC to funding organizations, elected officials, and investors.
- Expand public understanding of and support for HPC.
Criteria for the Awards
Submissions should meet the following criteria:
- Achievements are based on the results of applying HPC to scientific, engineering or business problems. The main criterion is the value of the achievement.
- Awards are given for actual achievements, rather than just plans to achieve something.
- Achievements can date back as far as five (5) years.
- Submissions must demonstrate a positive impact on science, medicine, engineering, data science, computer science, financial results, the HPC community, or society at large.
- Awards may be made to applications which show significant incremental advancements rather than major breakthroughs.
- The achievement cannot be based simply on using newer HPC technologies, such as solving a problem faster with more-capable processors/accelerators or lowering data center PUE by installing new cooling technologies. However, a combination of fundamental algorithmic changes and underlying hardware technology is acceptable.
- Creating innovative technologies or methods is a welcome achievement as long as their value is being proven in the community/broader society.
- Documentation/references/attestations are requested in order to facilitate the evaluation and award process. This could include references of support from end users.
About Hyperion Research Holdings
Hyperion Research helps organizations make effective decisions and seize growth opportunities by providing research and recommendations in both high performance computing and emerging technology area. The company operates HPC User Forum meetings on behalf of the steering committee. For more information, including biographies of steering committee members, visit www.hpcuserforum.com
Source: Hyperion Research Holdings