Nov. 10, 2017 — The SIGHPC Education Chapter (SIGHPCEDU) and the International High Performance Computing Training Consortium (IHPCTC) have announced an integration of their efforts to build a combined collaborative community focused on the development, dissemination, and assessment of HPC training and education materials. The goals of the collaboration include the promotion of HPC training activities, avoidance of duplication of efforts in creating such materials, and the assessment of the impacts of that training.
The combined organization has begun work on a number of short- and long-term activities aimed at those goals. Those activities will be discussed at the SIGHPC Education Chapter BoF at SC17 (November16 – 12:15 PM Room 205-207). They include the preparation of a master list of existing training materials, webinars, blogs and discussion forums, and outlets for publishing training and education experiences. The outcomes of the discussion at SC17 will be posted on the SIGHPCEDU website (https://sighpceducation.acm.org/) following the conference. Those interested in volunteering to assist with these efforts should contact the SIGHPC Education Chapter Officers (Richard Coffey, Fernanda Foertter, Steve Gordon, Dana Brunson, and Holly Hirst) at [email protected].
The SIGHPC Education Chapter is the first virtual chapter of the ACM. Its objectives are to:
- Promote an increased knowledge of, and greater interest in, the educational and scientific aspects of HPC and their applications.
- Provide a means of communication among individuals having an interest in education and career building activities relating to HPC.
- Promote and collate education activities and programs through formal and informal education activities.
- Provide guidance to the community on the competencies required for effective application of computational modeling, simulation, data analysis, and visualization techniques.
- Provide information on quality educational programs and materials as will as facilitating experience building access to existing HPC resources.
Membership is only $10 per year for professionals and $5 for students.
The International High Performance Computing Training Consortium is an ad hoc group of training professionals formed in response to several training workshops held at the annual SC meetings. Its members includes professional staff from 18 countries. This group has been organizing HPC training workshops at SC for the past four years. We welcome you to join us for the Fourth SC Workshop on Best Practices for HPC Training on Sunday from 2-5:30 pm in room 601 of the Convention Center.