From business insight to customer satisfaction, information is the most valuable currency of the digital age. The digital universe is rapidly expanding, with experts predicting that the number of connected things will rise from 187 billion in 2013 to 212 billion in 2020. Businesses of every size and industry are striving to exploit vast quantities of data in order to extract strategic insight, perpetuate exploration and discovery, and ensure business growth.
Today’s organizations collect and produce troves of complex data which IT departments must find ways to securely and cost-effectively operationalize in order to detect patterns, analyze trends, and extract actionable intelligence.
In an effort to store terabytes and petabytes of information, IT departments are adopting data lakes, data management platforms which store data until it is required for analysis. These massive stores allow users to explore, analyze, and store data in its original format. This provides huge advantages to users by delivering high levels of data availability, resiliency, elasticity, fault tolerance, and ease of use.
Data lakes aim to solve a number of problems with traditional storage technologies:
- Massive scalability – integration of on-premise storage technologies with cloud environments enable real-time, data-driven decision-making
- Data security – data lakes safeguard sensitive data and ensure compliance
- Faster ingest – new datasets can be processed and operationalized within a single work day.
- Optimized workflows – within the data lake, faulty datasets are identified and new datasets are added within hours
- User insight – IT departments utilize data lakes to significantly reduce time-to-insight, making it faster and easier to derive insights for a host of existing applications and tools
The primary goal of a data lake environment is to eliminate data silos by centralizing information. Because data silos are no longer sufficient to manage the rapid influx of Big Data, data lakes enable users to cross-correlate data to extract greater insights and house data in a single IT infrastructure. Furthermore, data lakes promise to increase information use and data sharing with greater availability. High bandwidth access and scalable computing platforms allow IT departments to reduce time-to-value while accelerating analytics from months or weeks to a matter of minutes.
To harness the full power of data lakes, organizations are looking to invest in powerful high performance computing solutions. Backed by Big Data solutions, new technologies are empowering users to exploit the full power of their data. Hadoop software supports the transition from data silos to data lakes, delivering massive scalability and eliminating management complexity. Those who successfully adopt this new style of IT will experience not only cost savings, but greater value and business growth.
To learn more about how data lakes are revolutionizing data storage and analytics, follow me on Twitter at @TMyers_HPE.